Feedback geben


Admission with school leaving certificate from a non-EU/EEA country

If your school leaving certifcate was issued in a non-EU/EEA member country, you can apply within the general admission period.

Attention: You may not be enrolled for the same study programme at two universities in Austria at the same time! If you want to transfer to another university in Austria you need to de-register at the previous university.

The information mentioned below does not apply for study programmes with entrance examination.

Information about study programmes with entrance examination

How do you apply for admission?

You have to follow these steps:

  1. register and upload the required documents in u:space within the deadlines
  2. enrol for the degree programme
  3. pay the tuition fee/students’ union fee

Information about the deadlines at the University of Vienna

Step 1: Registration and upload of documents

You have to register via u:space and activate your u:account, which you will need throughout your studies at the University of Vienna. Throughout the whole entrance procedure all information will be sent to the e-mail address you enter in u:space in this registration.

Prepare the following documents for upload (as pdf)

  • your school leaving certificate with legalisation if necessary
  • possible transcripts/diploma of former studies (with legalisation if necessary)
  • translations (issued by a court sworn translator) of the above mentioned documents in case the original is not issued in English or German
  • passport or personal ID card (plus document verifying a change of name such as marriage certificate)
  • special entrance qualification
  • passport photo
  • proof of proficiency in German at B2 level (if available already)

The processing of your application will take several weeks. We recommend:

  • apply as early as possible
  • make sure the uploaded documents are legible and the scan is of high quality (300dpi resolution)
  • upload the pdf-files in the right areas in u:space (e.g. secondary school leaving certificate original + legalisation + translation all in the field "secondary school leaving certificate"; the special entrance qualification in original + translation in the field "special entrance qualification" etc.)

Attention: Late applications or deficient/incomplete documentation result in long processing times and make an enrolment in the semester applied for impossible.
We ask for your understanding that the University of Vienna cannot provide information about the status of processing.

After the Admission Office finished processing your documents, you are informed by email ("letter of admission").

Information about the special entrance qualification
Information about the German course and accepted certificates of proficiency in German
Info about translation and legalisation

Step 2: Enrolment to the study programme

For the enrolment you have to present the documents uploaded in step 1 at the Admission Office (Mon 9-12 a.m., Thu 2-5 p.m.) within the extended admission period. You need to bring either the original documens or notarised copies as well as your letter of admission.

Please notice: If German or supplementary exams are prescribed in your letter of admission, you have to finish the personal admission until 5 September or 5 February, as these are the deadlines for the registration for the German course respectively the courses for the supplementary exams.

When you enrol your identity will be checked. Therefore step 2 can only be completed by yourself personally, not by another person.

Admission periods

Step 3: Payment of the tuition fee/students’ union fee

Once your tuition fee/students’ union fee payment has been communicated, you are enroled for the degree programme.

You can pay with your ATM/cash card (showing the maestro sign) at the Admission Office when you complete the enrolment. If you use this form of payment, you are enrolled immediately.

You can choose among these other types of payment:

  • eps Online payment via u:space > financial matters > tuition fee/students’ union fee (this is only possible if you have an Austrian bank account)
  • classical online banking per Online-Banking; the data required are available in u:space > financial matters > tuition fee/students’ union fee
  • you print a payment bill using your u:account password at the Self Service Terminals in the main building and pay at a bank

Information about the tuition/students' union fee
Self Service Terminals (in German)

What happens after the enrolment?

Once the balance in u:space > financial matters > tuition fee/students’ union fee shows „zero“, the payment has been communicated successfully. If you use online banking or pay with the payment bill, this may take up to seven days.

Then you can print your student documents via u:space > Personal matters > my documents (i.e. the student record and confirmation of enrolment). The semester sticker for your student ID card will be sent to the postal address entered in u:space.

After the enrolment you can start to plan your semester and to register for courses within the respecvtive registration deadline.

How to plan the semester
Info about the course registration system


Zusätzliche Informationen


Universität Wien
Student Point
Universitätsring 1
1010 Wien
Tiefparterre, Hof 4, Stiege 6
Tel. +43/1/4277-10600

Further contact information