- Admission Bachelor/Diploma programmes
- Admission Master programmes
- Admisson Doctoral/PhD programmes
- Admission without school leaving certificate
- Changing your degree programme
- Additional studies
- Continue studying
- Leave of absence
- Leaving university
- Studying with Disability
Admission to a master programme
After completing an at least three years degree programme (180 ECTS), you can apply for admission to a master programme. The admission is only possible if you have completed a programme in the same field or a closely related scientific discipline.
Information about eligible diplomas can be found in the curriculum of the degree
programme or in the Master Access Guide.
- Whether or not your degree is equivalent or closely related can only be evaluated after your application.
- Entrance examination: Some master programmes are subject to specific
entrance examination. Application periods might differ from general periods.
- The processing time for applications (with a degree completed at the University of Vienna in a different discipline or a degree completed at another university or postsecondary education institution) takes curently at least 16 weeks. Please apply as early as possible.
- You can only apply with a fully completed degree.(Transcripts without a bachelor diploma cannot be accepted.)
- Due to organisational reasons, the Admission Office cannot give information about the status of the admission process.
- The personal admission (the last step of the admission procedure) is possible until 30 November (winter semester) and 30 April (summer semester). There are some exceptions to these deadlines.
- Admission after the start of the semester can mean that you might not get a place in certain courses. This might influence your progress while studying.
- You cannot attend classes from the master programme while still being enrolled in the bachelor programme.
The admission procedure depends on your nationality and whether you apply with a diploma from the University of Vienna or not.
Please choose the relevant information in the navigation on the left hand side.
Are you studying a master programme and would like to spend a semester at the University of Vienna to complete courses and use the university facilities (e.g. libraries)? The “Visiting Master” – which is open to all students (even to those whose university does not have a mobility programme cooperation with the University of Vienna) – provides this opportunity.