- Admission Bachelor/Diploma programmes
- Admission Master programmes
- Admisson Doctoral/PhD programmes
- Admission without school leaving certificate
- Changing your degree programme
- Additional studies
- Continue studying
- Leave of absence
- Leaving university
- Studying with Disability
Admission to a master programme with a diploma from another university
Your application for admission with a diploma from another university or universities of applied sciences can be processed by the Admission Office only after a complete upload of all required documents. You also have to upload your diploma of completion of studies or at least the confirmation that you have completed a programme of at least 180 ECTS.
Transcripts of record or similar instead of the diploma of completion or of the confirmation of completion is not sufficient!
The application until 15th of July (for winter semester) and 15th of January (for summer semester) is recommended due to the processing times, but is not a must.
Apart from the documents which have to be uploaded, the following information is not valid for the master programmes with entrance procedure (e.g. Psychology, Environmental sciences, etc.). Those study programmes have special deadlines.
How do you apply for admission?
Please follow these steps within the prescribed deadlines, depending on your citizenship:
- Register and upload the required documents via u:space
- Enrol for the study programme
- Payment of the tuition fee/students' union fee
Step 1: Register in u:space and activate the u:account
You need to register in u:space and activate your u:account which you will need throughout your study programme. The e-mail address you enter in the registration will be the one used in all correspondence with the Admission Office throughout the course of the admission process.
Prepare the following documents for upload (in pdf format):
- Your document of completion of studies with the legalisations required for the country it was issued in
- Your diploma supplement, transcript of records, index
- In case you have non-EU citizenship: proof of special entrance qualification
- A translation of all above mentioned documents made by a court sworn translator (if the documents were issued in languages other than German or English)
- A scan of your passport/personal ID (photo page)
- Proof of German or English prescribed in the specific curriculum (see the curriculum of the specific master programme)
- A passport photograph
The processing of your application will take several weeks. We recommend:
- apply as early as possible
- make sure the uploaded documents are legible and the scan is of high quality (300dpi resolution)
- upload the pdf-files in the right areas in U:SPACE (e.g. secondary school leaving certificate original + legalisation + translation all in the field "secondary school leaving certificate"; the special entrance qualification in original + translation in the field "special entrance qualification" etc.)
Attention: Late applications or deficient/incomplete documentation result in long processing times and make an enrolment in the semester applied for impossible.
We ask for your understanding that the University of Vienna cannot provide information about the status of processing.
Neither the Admission Office nor Student Point can provide information about the current status of processing due to organisational reasons.
Once the Admission Office has completed the processing of your application, you will receive a notification by e-mail. If the attached letter is a positive letter of admission you can be enrolled.
Information regarding legalisation and translation
Information about special entrance qualification
Information about proficiency in German and accepted proofs
Curricula of the master programmes (in German)
Language requirements for English-language master programmes
Step 2: Enrol personally for the study programme
The admission can be
- granted without additional exams
- granted with additional exams taken out of the bachelor programme up to 30 ECTS, which have to be taken during the master programme or
You find information about the supplementary exams in your admission letter. You do not need to enrol for the bachelor programme for taking these exams, you can do them while you are already in your master programme (it is recommended to do them rather at the beginning).
You need to come to the Admission Office personally with the originals of the above mentioned documents or notarized copies of them until the end of the admission period.
At this point your identity needs to be checked, so you can only do this step yourself and not another person instead of you.
Mind the registration periods for the courses may be rather short and plan your personal admission date accordingly!
Attention: It is not allowed to be enrolled as a full student for the same study programme at two Austrian universities at the same time. In case you want to transfer from one university to the other you should deregister at the previous one once you have received the admission letter of the University of Vienna.
Step 3: Payment of the tuition fee/students' union fee
Once you paid the prescribed tuition fee/students' union fee you are enrolled in the study programme
You can pay directly at the Admission Office when you are there for the personal admission with a debit card (maestro card). In that case the enrolment is effective immediately.
Or you can use one of the following types of payment:
- Online payment via eps online-payment (only possible if you have an Austrian bank account) via u:space > Financial Matters > tuition fee/students’ union fee
- Via Online banking: the required data are available in u:space > Financial Matters > tuition fee/students' union fee
- With the payment bill which you can print using your u:account password at the self service terminals in the main university building.
What happens after the admission?
Once the balance in u:space > Financial Matters > tuition fee/students’ union fee is zero, the fee is communicated. In case of classical online banking or payment via payment bill this may take up to seven days.
Then you can print your student documents via u:space > Personal Matters > My Documents (that is the student record sheet/Studienblatt and the confirmation of enrolment/Studienbestätigung). The semester sticker that you need to put in your student ID card will be sent to the postal address saved in u:space.
After the final step of the admission you can start planning your semester and register for the courses within their specific registration periods.