Feedback geben


Legalisation and translations of documents

Secondary education diplomas, certificates about completed periods of studies, and transcripts need to be presented in an officially legalised form for the admission procedure, unless they were issued in Austria. Exception is the proof of the special university entrance qualification (admission statement), it does not require a legalisation. Copies have to be legalised, too.

Which legalisation criteria apply for the different states?

The Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research regulates the legalisation of diplomas and certificates for every individual country. In the case of the following issuing countries, no legalisation of original documents is necessary:

Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark,  Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and USA.

According to bilateral agreements (Hague Convention), documents issued in certain countries do not need to be fully legalised, but an apostille issued in the country which issued the original document is sufficient. Usually you can get the apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Justice or the Ministry of Education of the issuing country. The following countries signed the Hague Convention:

Albania, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Cape Verde, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Grenada, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Kazakhstan, Japan, Korea (Republic), Lesotho, Liberia, Macao, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Mosambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue, Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, São Tomé and Principe, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Suriname, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

Documents from countries with which Austria has no agreement have to be fully legalised. An authentication from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from the issuing country is necessary for the required document.

Please report to the Austrian embassy/consulate in the country where your documents were issued, showing your certificate. For your admission procedure, the last authentication issued by an Austrian authority is crucial.

Applicants with documents issued in China have to present a certificate from the Academic Evaluation Centre (Akademische Prüfungsstelle - APS) of the German Embassy additionally to their legalised documents.

Further information

For information about legalisation requirements for individual states, please refer to the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research, NARIC (National Academic Recognition Information Centre) AUSTRIA.

Which documents need to be translated?

Documents which are required for the admission procedure (secondary education diploma, certificates about completed periods of studies, admission statement) and which are not originally issued in German or English have to be translated by a court sworn translator into German or English. Original English documents are accepted.

Please note: Translations should be done only after legalisation if necessary!

Zusätzliche Informationen


Universität Wien
Student Point
Universitätsring 1
1010 Wien
Tiefparterre, Hof 4, Stiege 6
Tel. +43/1/4277-10600

Further contact information