The amount of the tuition fee
To continue your studies you have to pay the tuition fee/students' union fee within the corresponding deadline.
The amount depends on:
- the compliance with the minimum duration of the degree programme plus two additional semesters (in the case of diploma programmes there are two additional semesters for each part of the programme),
- your citizenship and
- the date of payment.
In general, the tuition fee is € 363.36 per semester, respectively € 726.72 for certain non-EU nationals. Apart from this amount, you will also need to pay the students‘ union fee incl. insurance (€ 19.20 per semester for the academic year 2016/17). This leads to a total amount of either € 382.56 or € 745.92 per semester.
Within the extended admission period the amount of the students’ union fee remains the same but for degree programme students with citizenship of a EU/EEA country or Switzerland (or degree programme students who are granted the same rights as Austrian citizens) the tuition fee is increased by 10%, which leads to a total amount of € 418.90 (including the students' union fee). The extended admission period for the summer semester 2015 lasts from February 6th until April 30th 2015.
However, the amount of the tuition fee is not increased for non-degree programme students and students who need to pay € 745.92 during the regular admission period.
Deadlines for payment
Many students are exempted from the tuition fee or entitled to apply for remission.
Who is exempted from the tuition fee?
Degree programme students from an EU/EEA country studying within the minimum duration of their degree programme plus two additional semesters are exempted from the tuition fee payment. That means you pay the students’ union fee only.
Some non-EU citizens can apply for "equal status" with EU/EEA citizens with regard to the tuition fee. You have to submit proof for this equal status.
The following persons can apply for this:
- Degree programme students, who are granted the same rights as Austrian citizens concerning the access to a profession due to an international agreement (e.g. convention refugees)
- Students with "permanent residence EU" (Daueraufenthalt EG)
- Non-EU citizens with residence permits other than student resident permit (i.e. family members, RotWeißRot-Karte etc. see links)
- Students who are in the "groups of persons decree" (attention: in case of self insurance in Austria an equal status and therefore exemption cannot be granted).
Once you have been granted "equal status", the same regulation applies as for EU/EEA citizens (minimum duration plus two tolerance semesters).
The form containing further information is available for download on the right hand side ("documents"). The proof for the application for equal status has to be submitted
- for summer semester until March 31st
- for winter semester until October 31st
If you exceed the study duration and the "equal status" still applies you may have a reason to apply for a remission of the tuition fee also. You should check if one of the reasons for remission of the fee applies.
How much is the tuition fee for non-degree programme students?
Regardless of their citizenship, non-degree programme students have to pay € 382.56 per semester within the general admission period. This amount consists of the tuition fee (€ 363.36) and the students' union fee (€ 19.20).
If you are attending exclusively a continuing education programme at the University of Vienna or the Viennese University Preparation Programme, you are exempted from the tuition fee. You have to pay the students' union fee and the fee of the programme you are attending.
How much is the tuition fee for students from EU countries and Austria?
Degree programme students from Austria, from another EU/EEA member state as well as students holding the same rights as residents regarding the access to occupation (e.g. convention refugees) are exempted from the tuition fee as long as they study within the minimum duration of their degree programme plus two additional semesters (in the case of diploma programmes there are two additional semesters for each part of the programme). In this case students pay only the students' union fee of € 18.70 until the end of the extended admission period (winter semester: 30 November, summer semester: 30 April) in order to continue their studies.
In case you exceeded the minimum duration of your degree programme (plus two additional semesters) there are two possibilities to continue studying:
- You pay the tuition fee of € 382.56 within the general admission period of the respective semester. This amount consists of the tuition fee (€ 363.36) and the students' union fee (€ 19.20). Within the extended admission period the tuition fee increases by 10% which leads to a total amount of € 418.90.
- You apply for remission of the tuition fee and if your application is granted, you only have to pay the students' union fee within the admission period, by the end of the extended admission period the latest (winter semester: 30 November, summer semester: 30 April). If your application for remission cannot be processed within the deadline, you have to pay the fee first and then apply for remission and for reimbursement.
How much is the tuition fee for students from other countries?
Depending on your citizenship you will need to pay either €382.56 or €745.92 per semester or you will be granted remission from the tuition fee.
For further information on which group your citizenship belongs to, please check the following link: